Even if you’ve never received physical therapy, you probably have a good idea as to how it works. Through a series of specific stretches and exercises, a physical therapist helps their patient recover from an injury to find relief from pain and even improved mobility.
But this is just the tip of the iceberg. In addition to pain relief and better mobility, there are many unexpected benefits of physical therapy. In this blog, we’re taking a closer look at who could benefit from physical therapy and revealing some of the top unexpected benefits.
At Denver Total PT, we understand that each road to recovery is unique. That’s why our physical therapy office develops personalized treatment plans for each patient. With one-on-one care with some of Denver’s top physical therapists, we can help you recover from a range of injuries, including car accident injuries and sports-related injuries, to get you back to the lifestyle you love.
With our hands-on, evidence-based techniques, physical therapy can work to relieve pain, improve mobility, boost your physical performance, and enhance your overall wellness. At Total PT, our entire staff is dedicated to your full recovery.
Who Could Benefit from Physical Therapy?
Physical therapy is an ideal treatment for many different kinds of patients. While we often associate physical therapy with treating major injuries and aiding in the recovery process, physical therapy can actually be effective for a range of health issues.
If you’re experiencing one of the following health problems, consult with your doctor or a local physical therapist to see if physical therapy can help:
- Chronic pain.
- Joint issues.
- Neck pain and stiffness.
- Sports injuries.
- Car accident injuries.
- Torn rotator cuff.
- Muscle or ligament tears.
- Head or neck injuries.
- Post-surgical rehabilitation.
- Balance issues, such as vertigo.
- Stroke recovery.
- Multiple sclerosis.
- Parkinson’s disease.
And more. For anyone experiencing an injury or ailment affecting the musculoskeletal system, physical therapy could be an effective treatment option. Many doctors will recommend physical therapy in tandem with other treatments to help you achieve a successful and holistic recovery.
7 Unexpected Benefits of Physical Therapy
If you’ve ever needed to recover from a significant injury, such as a car accident injury or a sports injury, then you already know the unique benefits afforded by visiting a Denver physical therapist. As a safe and non-invasive approach to care, physical therapy works with your body to heal naturally.
Over time, physical therapy can also boost your overall physical performance and even help you prevent future injuries. Even when not recovering from an injury, many individuals continue their physical therapy routines to stay in peak shape.
Take a look at some of the unexpected benefits of physical therapy:
- Improved posture: poor posture doesn’t just look bad. Over time, bad posture can have negative effects on your health, including back pain, joint issues, and spinal dysfunction. Poor posture can result from an injury, but it can also develop slowly over time, especially as so many of us work office jobs that require us to hunch over a desk for long periods of time. Physical therapy, however, can work to improve your posture by teaching you how to properly align your spine to avoid back pain and neck pain and stiffness.
- Better balance: if you’re living with balance issues from a significant injury, vertigo, or even simply related to older age, physical therapy can help you boost your balance. Physical therapy can assist with maintaining muscle strength and coordination so that you lower your risk of falls. This issue is especially important for older individuals who may experience muscle loss but still wish to maintain an independent and active lifestyle.
- Post-surgical recovery: in the aftermath of a major surgery, a complete recovery may take weeks or even months. But with physical therapy, you may be able to reduce this recovery time and improve your overall recovery. Many doctors will recommend their patients to begin physical therapy after a major surgery. As a non-invasive and safe approach to care, the exercises and stretches in a physical therapy program can speed up the body’s natural healing process.
- Cost-effective care: for some injuries and illnesses, medication or surgery may be inevitable. But for many patients with mild to moderate injuries, physical therapy can help you avoid these more costly treatments. Additionally, physical therapy can also help you avoid the potential side effects of surgery or prescription medication. This is why many doctors will first recommend physical therapy as a treatment option before suggesting more invasive treatments.
- Improve blood circulation: good blood flow is essential for your health as it ensures that oxygen and other nutrients can reach your brain and other vital organs. However, following an injury, inflammation can negatively impact your blood circulation. Physical therapy can help improve your blood flow. Certain exercises will stretch your muscles, causing the blood vessels to widen, which helps to improve your blood flow.
- Prevent future injuries: not only can physical therapy help you recover from an injury, but it can also help you prevent future injuries. When your body is in top shape, flexible, and strong, you dramatically decrease your risk of a future injury.
- Teaches proper workout techniques: if you begin a new workout routine without knowing what you’re doing, you run the risk of actually doing more damage than good. Poor form during an exercise routine can damage your muscles, tendons, or joints. By working with a physical therapist, however, you’ll learn the proper workout techniques so you can exercise safely and effectively.
Conclusion – 7 Unexpected Benefits of Physical Therapy
When recovering from a significant injury, physical therapy can serve a critical role in helping you attain a successful and long-lasting recovery. Compared to other types of care, physical therapy works with your body to encourage natural healing. As a safe and non-invasive approach to treatment, many doctors will recommend that patients enroll in physical therapy to speed up and improve their recovery.
But physical therapy can do even more for your overall wellness. In addition to helping patients find relief from pain and improved mobility, physical therapy can also improve your posture, increase flexibility, improve blood flow and circulation, and even help you prevent future injuries.
Physical therapy can help you boost—and maintain—peak physical performance, which is probably why so many patients continue their physical therapy exercises and stretches well after their recovery is complete.
If you’re curious about the benefits of physical therapy, we’re here to help. Total PT is your choice for physical therapy services in Denver. With personalized care and one-on-one access with some of Colorado’s top physical therapists, we can help speed up and improve your recovery.
Whether you’re experiencing a car accident injury, sports-related injury, require post-surgical rehab, or simply dealing with aches and pains, our evidence-based therapy techniques can boost your overall wellness. With a holistic approach to treatment, our physical therapy experts offer personalized care for your total health.
Contact us today to schedule your initial consultation. Here at Denver Total PT, our entire staff is dedicated to your recovery and we can’t wait to get you back to the life you love.